On the left side of the road, just outside the gate, was a brick tavern owned by the Schwartzhouer family. (The site was located about 200 feet from the center of the scarp between bastions 1 and 2). Bricks in the grass indicate the corners of the tavern building. Across the road was a barn belonging to the establishment. The Army took over the structures under lease in 1821, and purchased the entire property in 1831.