NPS Hampton NHS
  • Home
  • keypad
  • Downloads
  • Return to Portal
  • Stop 2: 1814 Hospital and Sheds foundations


    Quartermaster & Ordnance Storehouse:

    This brick building was approximately 100 feet long and had four rooms on the ground floor. The building was used for storage of quartermaster supplies (brooms, buckets, clothing, etc.), and to house a carpenter shop, a leather working shop and a gun shed where field guns and implements were placed to keep them out of the weather. The second floor had usable storage and work space.


    Ordnance/Commissary Storehouse:

    The next building, also built of brick, was 75 feet long, and slightly wider than the first. It had three rooms on the ground floor (two in front and single long room in the rear). One room in front was used for the storage of ordnance stores, implements, tackle and rope for the great gun; the other room in front was used as a stable for officer’s horses. The long room in the rear was used for subsistence stores (food), and was there that rations were drawn.


    Post Hospital:

    The hospital was about 30 yards further and on the right of the road. It was a brick, two-and-a-half story building similar in size and construction to the commander’s quarters, but the fireplaces were on the ends. The hospital had its own kitchen, examination room, operating room, and two wards, one upstairs and the other on the first floor. 


    From the hospital, the road ran along the post boundary to the wharf at the Patapsco River, where the Baltimore City fire boats are docked today. Along the right side of the road were a number of sheds and wooden buildings, as well as outside work areas, of which nothing remains today, but in 1814 played a significant part in the daily life of the garrison.


    The post hospital at Fort McHenry was under the charge of Dr. William Stewart, Hospital Surgeon's Mate, U.S. Army Medical Department, 10th Military District. Dr. Stewart was authorized to employ four civilian medical staff: a matron and three nurses. The matron received $6 per month, plus daily rations, fuel and bedding straw, while the nurses received $5 per month, plus daily rations, fuel and bedding straw. For those not familiar with military organization, the 10th district was the command one level above Major Armistead. Oversight of hospital personnel was the direct responsibility of Dr. Stewart. Dr. Stewart also employed a civilian cook at the hospital. It is not known if this person was male or female. The hospital cook received $5 per month, plus daily rations, fuel and bedding straw.

     

    Laundry:

    In the space on the left of the road, after the Hospital and before the bake House, is where the Laundry was located. Laundry tents, tables, tubs, lines and buckets were located with ready access to hot water, fire and wood.